Need a reason to cut back on soda? How about a 25-year-old who wears dentures?
William Kennewell of Salisbury, Australia, was never a fan of water, so he drank cola — a lot of it. He downed a staggering six to eight liters a day for three years, he told the Adelaide Advertiser.
The soda habit became an addiction that he “struggled to kick,” Kennewell said. Eventually, he developed tooth decay so severe that it led to blood poisoning — and the removal of his remaining teeth.
“I’m told a normal person has about 23 teeth, but … I only had 13 left, and they had to be removed,” Kennewell said.
“It started because I wasn’t a huge water fan and working in the hotel industry, I had easy access to Coke.
“Because my teeth were decaying so badly, it caused blood poisoning which just made me sick, but my health improved with the dentures.”
Kennewell is now a poster boy for Australian health researchers who are calling for warning labels on soft drinks about the risks of tooth decay. He agrees with the idea, he says, though he’s not sure how effective it will be.
Soda industry reps were dismissive.
“Singling out one particular part of the diet is a misguided approach to dealing with an issue such as dental hygiene,” said Geoff Parker of the Australian Beverages Council.